Tool Purchasing Resource
- Non-mechanized equipment from recommended suppliers
- Other non-mechanized equipment suppliers
- Mechanized equipment suppliers
- Publications on trail building
- Trail traffic counters
Not sure where to start? We offer a list of the most common trail building tools. Remember, tools are often specific to the terrain and the task (like trail-cutting vs. trail-clearing tools, or rock movers vs. tools useful for sandy trails).
Tools For Trails offers brand-names like Nupla, Rogue Hoe and Zac Tools to IMBA Chapters and current supporting organizations at up to 20 percent off.
Public Bike Repair Stations
Bike Fixtation offers current IMBA members and chapters a 20% discount on public bike repair stations, pumps, bike part vending machines, bike wash and bottle fill stations. Use the code "IMBA Deal" when contacting sales [at] bikefixtation [dot] com or call 612 568 3494 for more product information, pricing or a quote.
BOB Trailers offers bike trailers and tool racks. The single wheeled BOB trailer will hold 4-7 hand tools and a chainsaw enabling a bike based trail crew with tools to travel up to 10mph on singletrack trails. Current members qualify to purchase BOB Trailers and accessories at discounted prices.
Deuter USA offers the trail tool-ready Freeride Pro 30 pack to IMBA Chapters and current supporting organizations at up to 20 percent off. This pack fits a lot of gear and is useful for hauling tools to your trail building or maintenance project.
* We offer a guide to help you decide whether or not machine building is right for your trail project.
IMBA supporting organizations and members receive a discount on the purchase of new or used Sutter trail dozers and attachments, and new excavators or rubber track carriers. Sutter Equipment will also offer a donation to IMBA for any trail dozer, excavator or carrier purchased by non-IMBA groups if recommended by an IMBA-affiliated trail builder.
- Phone John Mueller at 415.898.5955 or email john [at] sutterequipment [dot] com for details.
Sutter Equipment also offers competitive leasing programs for trail equipment:
- Lease/Finance: This type of lease is designed so that at the end of the lease term, the Lessee will own the equipment upon payment of $1.00. It also has depreciation advantages.
- True Lease: This type of lease will have slightly lower monthly payments than the Lease/Finance option and at the end of the lease term the Lessee has the option of purchasing the equipment, typically
- Lease amounts range from $10,000 to $250,000
- Lease terms range from 3 years to 8 years
- Usual requirements include organizations or businesses to be in existence for a minimum of 2 years, plus first and last month payment
Some suppliers offer discounts to IMBA Members and Chapters; call individual suppliers for details.
A.M. Leonard: A.M. Leonard sells many landscaping tools. The IG7 and AE1 are good hoes for taller trail builders.
Ben Meadows Company: From a trailbuilder's perspective, Ben Meadows' selection of flagging tape, pin flags, clinometers, and hand tools is hard to beat.
Forestry Suppliers, Inc.: Forestry Suppliers is similar to Ben Meadows in their wide selection of products.
Lamberton Construction: Rob Lamberton's custom-designed Lamberton rake is similar to a Mcleod. It features a bolt-less handle, so you can use it to check the slope of your trail tread, and it comes with your choice of wooden or fiberglass handle. Also, it is very reasonably priced.
Lee Valley Tools: Hand tools such as pruners, loppers, pole pruners, shovels, axes, Pulaskis
MaxAx: Max Ax multi-purpose tool (MacLeod, Pulaski, axe, pick)
Rogue Hoe: Handmade in the USA. These are hugely popular by trail builders and there is a vast selection of trail specific tools. Tough and versatile with a variety of handles including fiberglass. Special pricing for IMBA supporting organizations and members is available here.
Wildfire Equipment Inc.: Wildfire invents, makes and delivers premium water handling equipment for wildland firefighters, agencies, and governments worldwide. Its distribution network paired with branches in strategic locations throughout Canada and the United States, and with partners in international markets, provides the after-sales service which is of utmost importance in the wildland fire control industry.
ZAC Tools: A complete range of trail maintenance tools and supplies. Inquiries can be made to sales [at] buyzactools [dot] com.
- Trail Solutions: IMBA's Guide to Building Sweet Singletrack — Trail Solutions is IMBA's premier trailbuilding resource. This 272-page book combines cutting-edge trailbuilding techniques with proven fundamentals in a colorful, easy-to-read format.
- Managing Mountain Bikes — Written for professional land managers, volunteers, and recreation providers alike, this 256-page book offers an essential collection of best practices for planning, designing, and managing successful trail networks and bike parks.
- Bike Parks: IMBA's Guide to New School Trails — IMBA has encountered a growing demand for information about how to plan, build and maintain successful bike parks, along with flow trails and other purpose-built bicycling facilities. This 178-page book examines all phases of planning, designing, building, and operating these facilities, with real-world success stories and multiple essays provided by leaders in the field.
* Quantity discounts available
The Mountaineers Books
Trail Traffic Counters
Goodson & Associates