Sea Otter Classic Will Feature IMBA Events, Urban Bike Parks Presentation
For Immediate Release 4-5-2013
Contact Mark Eller
IMBA Communications Director
The return of the Sea Otter Classic (April 18-21, Monterey, Calif.) is one of the sure signs that the mountain bike season is about to get underway. As usual, IMBA will be on hand throughout the festival, hosting parties, giveaways and offering special membership deals.
IMBA Trail Solutions is designing and building two test ride areas for the event. The "SRAM Mountain Bike Skills Zone, presented by IMBA" will offer bike park features for teenage and adult riders looking to test the vast array of demo bikes and equipment on offer at the four-day event. The adjacent "Specialized/IMBA Kids Bike Play Area" will provide terrain for younger riders, including push- and pedal-bike features that even toddlers will enjoy.
If you need to join or renew your IMBA membership, you should do so at the event to receive special benefits. Visit IMBA at booth #237 for the Sea Otter special. While supplies last, receive a t-shirt, gear from CST Tires and snacks from Clif Bar when you join, all for free. You will also be entered to win a custom-painted Niner Jet 9 RDO complete bike and will get to reap the many benefits of IMBA membership. In addition to that special offer, don’t miss these great IMBA events:
- IMBA Urban Bike Parks Presentation, Gran Fondo Tent in the Italian Village, Friday, 2 PM: With declining revenues and growing demands on open space and city parks, municipal leaders are exploring new approaches to outdoor recreational activities. This briefing will explore the rapid rise in bike parks and pump tracks in U.S. cities. Moderated by: Rich Cook, IMBA Director of Development. Panelists: Chris Bernhardt, IMBA Director of Consulting; Judd DuVall, Alpine Bike Parks; Simon Dunne, Specialized Global Advocacy Manager; David Zimberhoff, SRAM Global Marketing Director.
- Yakima's Spring Gear Giveaway, Booth 319, Friday and Saturday, 4 PM: Visit the Yakima booth early on either or both days to get started. Your first entry is free. Additional entries can be purchased for $5 each and all proceeds will be donated to IMBA’s Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day program. At 4 pm each day one person will win a whole package of great gear from exhibiting brands, including a Yakima HoldUp rack.
- GU Happy Hour, Booth 317, Saturday, 4 PM: We had such a good time at 24 Hours of Old Pueblo with our friends at GU Roctane that we decided to do it again in Monterey! Come enjoy a cold, frosty beverage; proceeds go to IMBA.
- "Hail to the Trail" CLIF Bar/IMBA 25th Anniversary Celebration, Booth 233, Saturday, 4:30 PM: An annual Sea Otter tradition, CLIF and IMBA will be partying on the green Saturday afternoon, with music by the Grove Valve Orchestra, CLIF's own in-house band. Limited-edition stainless steel pint cups will be available to help celebrate IMBA's 25th anniversary and CLIF Bar's efforts to "protect the places we play.”
- Niner Bikes Custom IMBA Giveaway, Booth 237, Saturday, 5 PM: Back by popular demand, Niner has created nine, custom-painted Jet 9 RDO framesets to auction, with all proceeds going to IMBA. (Last year's batch of six SIR 9 frames generated $11,111.) The first of these limited-edition frames will be given away at Sea Otter as a complete bike to one lucky person who joins IMBA, renews their membership, or registers for IMBA e-news. The remaining eight framesets will be auctioned via Pro's Closet starting in May. "We are really excited about this year's special edition project,” says Carla Hukee, Niner Marketing Manager. “For the first time ever, we've painted full suspension frame sets, including a matching Rock Shox fork. These Jet 9 RDO frames will be great symbols of stewardship out on the trails, something every owner can be proud to ride."
- "Singletrack High" Film Benefiting NICA, Golden State Theater, Saturday, 7:30 PM. This documentary follows the lives and races of student members of the NorCal High School Cycling League, demonstrating that mountain biking is about so much more than just spinning two wheels.