Join the National Mountain Bike Patrol
New patrollers may not join online. Instead, please submit the form below.
There are five mandatory requirements for membership as a patroller:
- Current certification in basic first aid and CPR.
- Joining an existing patrol group or starting a new one. Since you may not patrol public land without land manager permission, the easiest thing is to join a group that already has permission. If you're wanting to patrol as a single individual without a patrol group, you will be asked to submit a letter of support from your land manager. If there is not a group near you, we can help you start one! Here's the list of current groups.
- Successful completion of any of the following courses:
- A mountain bike patrol training course (taught by a local NMBP-affiliated group).
- A volunteer host training program (taught by local land manager).
- A ski area specific mountain bike patroller training (taught by a local ski area management or ski patrol).
- A passing grade on the NMBP Patroller online certification exam. A study guide for the exam can be found here.
- The application form, submitted with proof of first aid/CPR, the name of the patrol group you are joining, and membership payment.
New Patrollers: Download the application form (Word format | PDF format)
Fax, email or mail the form to IMBA along with 1.) payment, 2.) proof of a basic first aid/CPR course, 3.) which patrol group you are joining and 4.) where or from whom you received your patroller training. There is no online membership application at this time. If you are already an IMBA member, we recommend joining as a patroller at the regular level regardless. Twelve more months will be added to your membership's current expiration date. Your annual patroller renewal will include a regular IMBA membership. Thanks so much for your volunteerism!
P.O. Box 20280
Boulder, CO 80308
patrol [at] imba [dot] com
- Find a Red Cross class near you
- Find an American Heart Assoc. class near you
- Read about patroller duties
- Take the patroller exam
- Find a patrol group near you
- Visit the Resources section to learn more
- Current NMBP members can renew online here (Please make sure you are signed in so you don't duplicate your record, choose "patroller" rather than "individual.")
NMBP members receive all standard IMBA membership benefits, plus extra deals on bikes from Turner and Marin Bikes, discount pricing from Thomson, Planet Bike and Deuter, a Promotive account for purchasing discounted bike and outdoor goods from major brands (including Adventure Medical Kits) and the ability to purchase IMBA-exclusive, NMBP-branded gear including jerseys, jackets and hydration packs. Learn more here.
Please note, NMBP memberships are exclusive and NON-TRANSFERABLE.
If you need extra socks, patches or bike plates, please visit the NMBP store.
Questions? marty [dot] caivano [at] imba [dot] com (Email Marty Caivano), NMBP National Coordinator.