Bell Built Grants
Bell Helmets offers a $100,000 technical assistance grant to fund a gravity mountain bike trail built by IMBA Trail Solutions.
One (1) grant is available for a gravity trail for black diamond/double black diamond level riding. The trail will feature a 300 foot minimum drop and include steep sections, jumps, rollers, and berms. It will be 100% optimized for mountain bikes and advanced riders. It may feature alternate lines to encourage rider progression.
Please carefully read all details below before submitting your application.
How to Apply
*Applications must be titled "Bell Built" and submitted ONLY to the IMBA office by 12:00 midnight MST March 6, 2015. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
IMBA Trail Solutions
Bell Built Trail Building Grant
4888 Pearl East Circle, Suite 200E, Boulder CO, 80301
Or Email to: grants [at] imba [dot] com. Include in subject line: "Bell Built Application"
Download the application (PDF format).
Download the application (Word format).
- Winners of previous Bell Built grants are not eligible. Previous applicants who were not awarded grants are eligible.
- Applicants must be a 501c3 organization or a public land management agency.
- Applications for projects on private land are not eligible.
- Projects must be located in the United States.
- Project applications must be approved by the land manager and have all necessary construction permits in hand at the time of application. No permission, no project.
- Land managers/project applicants may not charge a site-specific fee to ride the finished project. Applications from organizations that charge to ride on the land around a project may be eligible, as long as access to the actual project is free. For example, an application from a state or national park that charges an entry or parking fee would be eligible, as long as the park does not charge to ride the trails funded by the Bell Built grant.
- If selected for the voting process the applicant will provide useable video and photographs for use on IMBA and Bell's websites. If given the grant the applicant will provide useable video and photographs of the project at all stages.
- The land manager must be willing to allow the facility to be filmed/photographed during construction and once the facility is open. By providing content, applicants give IMBA and Bell Helmets permission to publish this content for marketing purposes.
Selection Criteria to Determine Region Candidate Projects
- Project’s proximity to a large population center.
- Presence of a well-organized community of mountain bikers that will provide ongoing support and maintenance for the project. (IMBA Chapter or other stable mountain bike organization/club)
- Land manager support to ensure quality product and management.
- Applicant’s ability to raise sufficient funds to complete the project if the total cost exceeds the service grant value ($100,000).
- Project must enhance the local riding opportunities. Goal is to maximize the "fun factor" for the local community and provide a quality experience.
- Volunteer Capacity and Organization: Is there a plan in place for applicant's volunteers to assist IMBA Trail Solutions with construction if needed, and will volunteers/the applicant's organization participate in the facility's ongoing success/maintenance?
Voting Terms and Conditions
Three Region Candidate Projects for each region will be selected by Bell Helmets and IMBA Trail Solutions, based on the Selection Criteria, from the applicant pool.
An online popular vote between the Candidate Projects in each of the three regions will determine a Regional Finalist for each of the three regions.
The three Regional Finalists will compete in a National online popular vote to determine a Final Grant Winner.
The voting Regions are grouped IMBA Regions:
- West: Southwest, Northern California, and Pacific Northwest
- Central: Colorado/Wyoming/Rockies, Great Lakes, South Central, and Upper Midwest
- East: Mid-Atlantic, Northeast, and SORBA/Southeast
All voters will be required to provide email address and will be presented with the option to opt in to IMBA communications. All voters contact information (name email address) will be shared with Bell Helmets and IMBA.
Voting opportunities may be published in Bell Helmets media/distribution channel including point-of-sale, throughout the IMBA network of chapters, supporting clubs and retailers, and through media partners.
Other Terms and Conditions
Public support for the project will be measured by a popular vote. The vote will be the sole determination of the winner from the Regional Candidates and the National Winner.
The Bell Built Grant program is a competitive grant. Failure to win the grant does not affect the applicant’s project's eligibility to receive other grants available through IMBA or Bell Helmets, and does not demerit your project or proposal in any way.
IMBA Trail Solutions and Bell Helmets have full discretion in the selection of Regional Candidates and reserve the right to judge applications according to grant requirements, input from IMBA Region Directors, and application criteria.
Any misrepresentation, misstatement, or alteration of eligibility criteria, project status, project nature, failure to cooperate with IMBA Trail Solutions/Bell Helmets requests necessary to administer the grant or build the project, or failure to meet deadlines may result in disqualification or revocation of the grant. Disqualification or grant revocation is at the sole discretion of IMBA Trail Solutions.
Any attempt to manipulate the final voting process may be grounds for disqualification. This includes, but is not limited to, offering any voting incentive or automated voting software.
Grant Award Process
- Jan 12 - March 6: Open Application Period. Applications must be complete and submitted by 12:00 midnight MST March 6, 2015. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- March 13 - March 16: Bell Helmets and IMBA will select 9 Candidate Projects (three from each region) based on the selection criteria.
- March 13 - March 20: Candidate Projects will be contacted and announced.
- March 27: Candidate Projects submit web quality video and photographs that will be used to encourage voting during the Regional and National Final Voting process. This content will be posted on an online form/web page for mountain bikers to vote on. Professional-grade video production or photography is not required.
- April 13-April 27: Voting West Coast Regional Candidate Projects: Voting from Candidate Projects will determine one Regional Finalist to compete in a final national vote.
- April 28: West Coast Regional Finalist will be notified and published.
- April 27-May 11: Voting Central Regional Candidate Projects: Voting from Candidate Projects will determine one Regional Candidate Projects to compete in a final national vote.
- May 12: Central Regional Finalist will be notified and published.
- May 11-May 25: Voting East Coast Regional Candidate Projects: Voting from Candidate Projects will determine one Regional Finalist to compete in a final national vote.
- May 25: East Coast Regional Finalist will be notified and published.
- May 25-June 5: Voting for Final Grant Winner: All Regional Finalists will be voted on nationally to determine a Final Grant Winner.
- June 5: Bell Built Grant 2015 Media Announcement: IMBA and Bell Helmets will formally announce the winning applicant through a press release and web/social media posts after IMBA staff have contacted the finalists, and IMBA Trail Solutions has connected with the winner
- July-December: IMBA Trail Solutions begins design and construction of the winning project, with input from Bell Helmets' professional athletes*
IMBA Region Directors may be consulted by the Director of IMBA Trail Solutions and Bell Helmets to provide local knowledge about applications, but Region Directors will not determine the Regional Candidate Projects or Finalists. Click here for information about IMBA Regions and Region Director contact details.
IMBA's Region Directors can provide assistance in your area. Questions from IMBA chapters outside of IMBA Regions should be sent to grants [at] imba [dot] com.
- Andy Williamson, Great Lakes Region Director, andy [dot] williamson [at] imba [dot] com
- Anna Laxague, Pacific Northwest Region Director, anna [dot] laxague [at] imba [dot] com
- Anthony Duncan, Mid-Atlantic and interim Northeast Region Director, anthony [dot] duncan [at] imba [dot] com
- Michelle Barker, Midwest Region Director, michelle [dot] barker [at] imba [dot] com
- Jason Bertolacci, Rocky Mountain Region Director, jason [dot] bertolacci [at] imba [dot] com
- Patrick Kell, Southwest Region Director, patrick [dot] kell [at] imba [dot] com
- Steve Schneider, South Central Region Director, steve [dot] schneider [at] imba [dot] com
- Tom Sauret, Southeast/SORBA Region Director, tom [dot] sauret [at] imba [dot] com
- Laurel Harkness, Northern California Region Director, laurel [dot] harkness [at] imba [dot] com
Questions? Email grants [at] imba [dot] com, no phone calls please.