Skip to Navigation

Dig In: IMBA's National Grant Campaign

Overview

IMBA recognizes that all trails are local, and many great places to ride mountain bikes owe their existence to the tireless efforts of IMBA chapters. IMBA wants to collaborate with its chapters to put as much money toward their projects as possible. The new Dig In Campaign is a fresh take on IMBA’s old trail development and legal advocacy funds.  

The Dig In Campaign will raise funds for IMBA chapters' mountain bike projects nationwide. IMBA can leverage its reach and relationships to provide grant opportunities via corporate partner dollars and run a national marketing campaign to raise broad, high-level awareness. The goal is to bridge the gap between local and national fundraising efforts, and show a new audience how inspirational and vital trails are to local riders and communities.

The campaign will run October through December: the last quarter of each calendar year.
The application deadline for chapters is October 6. 

Project and participation requirements

For 2017, applicants to the Dig In Campaign must be an IMBA chapter with an approved trail project in need of funding. The project can be at any stage; funding does not have to go toward physical construction, but proof that the project is approved by the overseeing land manager is required.

Funds may be used to support trail assessment, creation of a trail plan or trail maintenance, in addition to trail construction. IMBA staff will vet Dig In applications, which are subject to final approval. Complete details will be provided to chapters via emails and phone calls. 

Distribution of funds

IMBA will retain 20 percent of individual donations to heavily market the campaign to a nationwide audience, and provide promotional resources and a fundraising platform to chapters. The remaining 80 percent will be distributed with the Q4 chapter membership checks.

In addition to the individual contributions, IMBA is raising corporate money to distribute to chapter projects. One-hundred percent of those dollars will be distributed equally among all approved applicants.  

Ready to participate?
Read about the campaign below, then find the application link at the bottom of the page. 

Chapter requirements:

1. Executive summary of the natural-surface trail project

2. Describe exactly what the chapter intends to put Dig In dollars toward

3. Project details to include:

  • Planning - define
  • Design - define
  • Construction - define
  • Some sort of visual: Pictures of the location, schematics, maps, design templates, concept drawings, plans, etc.
  • Project timeline
  • Do you currently have funds available to place toward your project? If yes. How much?

4. Documented agreement or letter of support from the land manager with statement of the nature of the project

5. Partnering land manager with contact information

6. Agree to fundraise for the grant using IMBA’s fundraising platform, which will be built specifically for this campaign

7. Commitment to provide two, one-page project progress reports

Award requirements:

1. Complete project description for marketing purposes

2. Must use IMBA marketing campaign kit to include logos and messaging templates

3. Must promote via social media and web, etc and provide IMBA with your chapter’s social media tags or project tags

4. Continued promotion of the campaign to raise matching monies toward awarded grant (up to the specified dollar amount) via IMBA's fundraising platform

5. Data updates through the campaign period for continued marketing promotion via IMBA

6. Status updates over the next 12 months: (must be completed in order to apply for funds in the upcoming year) 2 x 6 month follow ups via google forms sent from IMBA2 progress reports that include:

  • Additional funds raised
  • Volunteer hours toward the project
  • Status updates
  • Pictures
  • Master plan documents
  • Other relevant info

7. 80% of donations received will be shared directly with the chapter (similiar to membership). IMBA will keep 20% for marketing, promotion and fundraising efforts.

The application deadline for chapters is October 6. 

X