IMBA certified instructors who plan to give instruction should strongly consider purchasing an insurance policy that will cover them during clinics, lessons, skills rides, and other instructional events. IMBA has worked closely with our insurance provider to create a policy specific to mountain bike instruction that includes General and Professional liability coverage.
Pricing is as follows:*
- Level 1 -- Individual coverage not needed if you are working with a Marsh and McLennen insured IMBA chapter/club
- Level 2 -- $400/year
- Level 2 volunteer coaches -- $200/year
- Level 3 -- $800/year
*All policies expire 12/31/2014
To purchase an instructor insurance policy, click here
For policy questions, contact Theresa Terry: terryt [at] rjfagencies [dot] com
Frequently Asked Questions
What does this policy cover?
It covers most professional and general liabilities arising out of the coaching of cyclists by the ICP certified coaches, subject to the exclusions of the policy. Examples of coaching exposures are: Skills Clinics, MTB Camps, Private or Group Instruction.
Is there a set limit of events or people I can teach per policy term?
There is not a limit, but the coach should make sure they can adequately handle the number of students.
I reside in Canada. Will this insurance cover me?
No, you will need to purchase a policy from our Canadian broker. Contact IMBA Canada for more information: canada [at] imba [dot] com
Will I be able to travel to and from US and Canada and be covered?
Yes, if the coach resides in the US, there is not a problem with coaching in Canada.
Is the policy for one calendar year or one year from date of purchase?
It is from the date of purchase until the last day of that year (i.e. 12/31/14).
Am I covered if someone tries to sue me for an accident they say is due to practicing the skills they learned in my clinic?
Yes, subject to conditions and terms of the policy. This is the intent of the policy.
Will this insurance cover me coaching racers and dirt jump camps?
Coaching racers is not excluded. Coaching dirt jump camps is not excluded.
Will this insurance cover my event and people helping me run my event?
There are several scenarios:
1) If the “event” is strictly an ICP coaches class, without any other activities (like a festival, trail building, etc), the event is covered under the policy purchased by the coach, regardless if the coach charges a fee or not.
2) If the event is an IMBA club sponsored/managed event, where the only activity is an ICP coach is providing “coaching services,” the IMBA club is NOT charged any additional “fee” regardless of whether the club charges for this event or not.
3) If there is a club event/IMBA event, with other activities, which normally warrant a charge/fee (charging a fee for activities like a festival, group ride, etc), we would still charge for the event, just as we would without the coaching exposure.
Why does coverage cost so much more for a Level 3 Instructor?
The underwriters feel the degree of skills that a Level 3 instructor will be teaching has more risk than Level 1 and 2 instructors. Often these instructors are teaching skills that can cause greater degrees of injuries and liability.
When is my coverage bound and in place?
Coverage is not in place until a confirmation and Certificate of Insurance is emailed to the instructor. Coverage is not bound until acknowledgement by Marsh and McLennen is provided.
What if I live and/or teach in Canada?
Canadian instructors can go here http://www.oasisinsurance.ca/ and click on the "Safety Instructors" link on the left column.