The IMBA Epics
2012 Epic Awards
IMBA has used the Epic® designation for more than a decade. More than 60 rides have now earned the distinction, varying from backcountry adventures to innovative trails in urban locations. What unites them all is that they offer some of the best riding you’ll find in their home regions.
Each year, IMBA collects online nominations for a new crop of Epics®. Complete the linked web form and IMBA will consider your nomination.
Here are the 2012 Epics:
- Bangtail Divide, Montana, USA: Long climbs are always rewarded with long descents, and earning your turns is even more sweet after cresting the 22 switchbacks to the top.
- Bernina Express, Graubünden, SUI: Rocky, challenging trails that weave by cafés at mountain passes and down endless backcountry descents.
- Big South Fork/All 5 Ride, Tennessee and Kentucky, USA: Deep forests, rocky faces, and views into river gorges compliment five challenging trails that combine to create this ride.
- Colorado Trail (southern portions), Colorado, USA: One of the few iconic long-distance trails that allow mountain biking, the Colorado Trail does not disappoint — the southern sections offer particularly dazzling riding.
- Douthat State Park, Virginia, USA: Cresting both sides of the valley, this trail offers a hearty mix of rocky and fast singletrack that defines this region of the Appalachian mountains.
- Switchgrass Trail, Kansas, USA: With over 20 miles of twisting trails, this unexpected destination area has something for everyone.
- Waldo Lake Trail, Oregon, USA: Circling its namesake lake, the beauty of the High Cascades awaits those who ride this loop.
- Warner Lake, British Columbia, CAN: “Epic” is the only way to describe a ride that starts with a float plane trip.